Monday 22 August 2011

To display your Username and Computer Name on the 'My Computer'

Here is a tip for those who like to hack the registry.
Preliminary step, show the 'My Computer' icon, go to Control Panel, Display, Desktop (Tab), Customize Desktop, Check My Computer.
Principle: Find the setting for the My Computer object in the HKey_Classes_Root, substitute two variables for the original setting.   Warning: This is a particularly difficult registry change to make so export the registry FIRST. Regedit, File (menu), Export.
Getting Started
a) Use regedit to locate [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{20D04FE0-3AEA-1069-A2D8-08002B30309D} rename LocalizedString to LocalizedString.Old.  I advice this step in case anything goes wrong and you want to revert to how it was.
b) Create a new VALUE type Expand_SZ name it LocalizedString  Set the value of LocalizedString to %Username% at %Computername%
Press F5 to refresh the 'My Computer', there is no need to logoff and certainly do not reboot.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Do not post irrelevant comments, please!

Browser Name:
Browser Version:
Browser Code Name:
User-Agent: